This “Mixed Berry English Trifle” is a show-stopper dessert that wows a party crowd every time and works for all ages. What’s not to love about cake, fruit and whipped cream?! Now that berry season is back, it’s a great time to take advantage of it being less expensive to make. The very best part for you (besides all the compliments), is that it’s very quick and easy to assemble and is actually BETTER if made the day before the party.
You will need a large, footed Trifle bowl (6 1/2 quart) available at most kitchen supply and home goods stores. Check out Miss Party’s favorite! It’s a hardworking, convertible Domed Cake Plate/Punch Bowl that she uses as a Trifle, punch or fruit bowl, that is, when it’s not being used as a cake platter! That’s Yankee-ingenuity Miss Party can wrap her arms around!
Serves 20-24, when servings are scooped with a large serving spoon.
3 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 Tblsp pure vanilla extract
3 Tblsp sugar
2 1/2 lbs of your favorite pound cake
1 12-13 oz. jar of seedless raspberry jam (Miss Party is partial to Stonewall Kitchen) or 1 1/2 cups
4 cups fresh raspberries, washed and drained
2 cups fresh blueberries, washed and drained
1) On the day before you wish to serve the Trifle, in a medium bowl, combine jam, 3 cups of raspberries and all of the blueberries, mashing slightly. Set aside. Air dry remaining 1 cup of raspberries, bag and refrigerate.
2) In a large bowl, whip cream, sugar and vanilla into stiff peaks. Set aside.
3) Slice pound cake into 3/4″slices.
4) Assemble the Trifle by placing a bottom layer of pound cake slices in the Trifle bowl, trimming the edges as necessary. Spread the slices with 1/3 of the berry mixture and then with 1/3 of the whipped cream.
5) Repeat with 2 more layers. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
6) Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Before serving, garnish the Trifle with the remaining cup of raspberries. Provide a large serving spoon for scooping into the Trifle.
If you already have a 4 1/2 quart Trifle Bowl, here are the reduced quantities for ingredients:
2 cups heavy cream
1 Tblsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 lbs of favorite pound cake
1 cup seedless raspberry jam
2 1/2 cups raspberries
1 cup blueberries